Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"Words, words, words." - Hamlet II.ii

Another appropriate quote for this post might very well be "More matter, with less art" from the same play, act, and scene as in the title.  For I've decided that if I'm ever going to explore writing I need to stop fretting over it, sit my bum down, and get on with it.


So this is my attempt at connecting with my creative writing roots that were all but quashed in the academic pursuits of research papers and analytical essays during the last few years of college.  I'm sacrificing structure to get back to something I once loved.  Knowing me, however, a little structure is necessary if I'm ever going to stay committed to this, so part of this blog is my Shakespeare in a Year project.  I've always been fanatical about the Bard ever since I was young, and often wished that I had read more of him.  I read about this reading project in a couple places, and decided that a challenge like that is exactly what I need.


Recently, I turned 21.  A lot of things I thought I'd have figured out (or at least have an inkling about) by now haven't gotten figured out.  I'm having a bit of a mid-college crisis, if you will.  I've found in the past that I really connect with many of Shakespeare's characters and their own issues and struggles.  I've also found that writing about my experiences helps me to understand them better.  So this could be the ultimate hybrid.


I'm calling this blog "Shakespeare, age 21" because I want to explore his works in a context that is meaningful for me: my life, at this age, in this time.


I'm starting with The Winter's Tale.  I'm actually part of a production of it this summer that performs outdoors in a beautiful arboretum setting.  I'm playing Perdita, "the lost one," which already begins to figuratively express a deep truth about me.  


So, like Antipholus of The Comedy of Errors, not knowing exactly what I'm doing or what will become of it, I'll "in this mist at all adventures go."

No comments:

Post a Comment